Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cross Training Round 2

So I have decided that I need to better myself everywhere to be able to better myself on the rock.  Rock climbing requires a good cool headed self effortlessly and smoothly moving up the rock. Speed is needed on the easy terrain to save energy for the hard terrain.  Poise and balance is needed for the hard terrain and a climber constantly has to check in with oneself to ensure that no extra energy is wasted. 

I am asking myself what better way to check in with your body then long trail runs and interval speed training?

This week I have found myself on one long 5 mile trail run with many ups and downs where my co-worker and I have run at a set time and tried to keep the pace on the uphills and downhills.  I am glad that Catriona knows paces as I am never good at judging what they were.  It is all I can do to keep myself moving up the hills.  Supposedly our pace is at a 9 minute mile or less.

Day two of training found us running intervals.  We did a 1/2 mile fast then 1/4 fast and a 1/4 jog.  The average pace was about a 3:15 half mile which made me feel really good. We did three repeats of this all over the hour lunch break.   I have never run a mile at less than 8 minutes and I would love to better myself here if I could. 

While doing the intervals I found myself playing with both my stride and cadence.  It is giving me a chance to understand what it would be like to do this pace in short steps up a hill. 

When my wife and I took a hike one evening and I found myself wondering if I would be able to do the same mountain as a trail run.  As we hiked up I was worried of the steps and little rocks that I would need to stride around.  Intervals and hills as a trail run made me feel like I would be able to take the strides necessary to complete this.

No comments:

Post a Comment