Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Goals Big and Small

So I found this last week to be really hard to get in enough mileage to make the 29+ miles which was my goal  (big goal).  The mileages were something like this. I also wish I had a GPS or something because the trail runs are approximate and most likely considerably larger due to the up and down factor and the switchbacks which do not make the maps.

Day1; 6.2
Day2; 4
Day 3; 2
Day 4; 5.2 (this day I was running 8:20s which made me feel good) (small goal)
Day 5; 5
Day 6; 4 (this day was our normal loop, it felt really hard but it came out faster than normal)
Day 7; 4 (this day I was feeling a pump in my calves from all the running continuously)
Total: 30.4

For my endurance front this is, for me a major breakthrough. I have never run this fast before in one day or this many times in a row and in even some cases that many miles with hills.  On the work front we have decided to do a team or two for the Burlington marathon relay which will be my first ever running race.  I decided that I wanted to do the hill section since doing either the beginning or the end would rob me from the real glory of running a whole marathon if I ever decide to in the future.  After running 7 days in a row I will be glad to take one day off. I am almost of the mindset that it would have been easier to do 4 long days with 3 days of rest in between instead of running every day but I am not sure.  The issue right now is time.  It simply is taking too long to get in a 5 mile run and not go over on the lunch break. The next goal is to get into speed training for real and maybe get to be able to do a 7.5 minute mile.

For the climbing front it has been hard as we are in the fall season and it rained on the weekend or was too cold to find a dedicated belayer.  I will be heading up to the gym tomorrow to go bouldering and to get a workout in. My next goal is to either climb 30 boulder problems or get 4 V5 routes while I am there.  V5 in the VT gym seems to be a hard number for me where if I do not have the beta from someone and walk up to it it takes a couple of tries and sometimes I never get it.