Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cross-Training

So I was taking a self assessment this week of my weaknesses and also; Why I have been falling or not completing certain climbs?  I have decided that it comes down to two things.

1. Mental Challenges and head games
2. General Fitness

This past weekend when I was climbing I made it up every climb and I had the ability to do every move however when sequences got really tough I was unable to take the time to ensure to myself that the falls were clean or that the gear was good.  Instead I took the safe route and tested the system.  This left me cursing myself at the top of  one or two climbs because I had not accurately tested myself.   I was climbing with a sport climber type from Connecticut who just asked the one simple question. 

"Have you ever tried harder than that" 

It left me thinking "well gee I am not so sure anymore." So thinking about my skills and limits I have decided that many of the reasons are me not actually pushing myself.  My feet do not slip off. I seldom miss the general holds and sequence.  I rarely pump out.  This left me with the general position that I need to push myself. 

What better way than to do that running, stretching, and cross training since I cannot maximize my time on the rock?

This weeks plan is to run 20 miles or more and get myself stretching so that I continue to increase my flexibility.

So far it is Wednesday and I found that I was able to run each day and also fit in time for 5 pitches of tweaky short sport climbing at Bolton quarry.  We will see if the rain holds up for a weekend of climbing.