Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hepatitus Send

So this weekend I was with my parents and I got out for about 30 minutes of bouldering during the day at Hammond Pond.  Normally I try to get in hours or more but I guess that I have underestimated what can be done in 30 minutes or less when it comes to bouldering and running.  It was a really good session.

I ended up sending this project that I have had on my radar and wanted for a long time called Hepatitis.  It is an Old Henry Barber Line that he gave a rating of 5.12 back when people were climbing in hiking boots and there was not any sticky rubber.  It now has a rating of V5 under the the Vermin scale.  In Mass there is a rich history of small boulders and short 30 foot routes and their first ascents. Some of the lines although really short are a neat place to spend a couple minutes or hours on when you are in the Boston area.  I would not travel here just for them but feel that it is a good place to get a proud line in.  Since Hammond Pond is near my parents house where I grew up I have been looking at this line for almost 10 years.  It is a thin seam that has little crimps along the seam and a few jugs near the top.  As you go out the seam the feet get progressively worse and you really have to concentrate on footwork and core tension to stick on the wall. It was a good send.

No comments:

Post a Comment